According to many children’s movies, what our pets do while we’re away is anybody’s guess. Wild parties, international adventures, rescue missions — Sure, maybe these things are confined to movies where animals can talk. But if you think about it, how much do you really know your pet? They just may be living a secret double life…
Or, you know, maybe they just like to get into a little trouble while you’re out of the house. Apparently, our pets don’t just snooze on the sofa all day. As any pet-owner knows, cats and dogs love to explore…especially when they have the house all to themselves. Judging by these photos, though, they never expected to get caught!
1. It looks like your dog got a little carried away with the lipstick! That’s what happens when you leave your makeup out with a beauty queen like Princess in the house. She may have ruined your expensive products, but at least she looked good doing it!
2. This is probably all your fault for not cracking a window or something while you were out, Greg! What else was Fido going to do to cool off? Something humans don’t know is that toilets are actually the most refreshing place to have a swim.
3. Those gigantic bug-eyes could only belong to a ravenous carnivore. After all, that’s the only explanation as to why your dog crept into the fridge, snooped through the perishables, and ripped open the steaks you were saving for dinner.
4. If you were wondering who wore the pants in the family, this photo makes it pretty obvious. Everything about the cat’s face says “I run this house,” especially that mischievous little grin. We hope someone separated these two after the photo was taken!
5. Ah, young love! Proof that cats and dogs can coexist peacefully, Fluffy and Fido here seem to be on the brink of romance…or maybe violence? Is that love or hate in their eyes? It’s always hard to tell when it comes to our pets.
6. We have to wonder what the point of a dog door is if only a few tiny breeds can fit through one! We’re sure this particular door worked wonders when this guy was a puppy, but he’s all grown up now, if this door/hat is any indication.
7. If the owner hadn’t arrived, we like to think that this cat would’ve brushed her fur, put on some lipstick, and headed out for a night on the town in her owner’s sparkly shoes. At least she got to cuddle with them before she was caught!
8. We can’t even tell what’s on the floor in this picture — kibble? Dirt? A combination of both? — but it’s obvious that Buster had a grand ‘ol time with whatever it is while his owner was away. Too bad dogs don’t have to clean up their messes!
9. It looks like someone had fun while you were out of the house! Instead of getting mad about the pillows, try joining in on the fun. Nothing alleviates anger better than rolling around in some feathers with man’s best friend…until you have to clean it up, that is.
10. Technically, this is your fault, owner. Buddy took matters into his own paws when you turned play-with-Buddy night into a boring ‘ol movie night. What was he supposed to do, cuddle up with you while watching the cinematic masterpiece Click? Didn’t think so.
11. You’ve heard of walking, playing fetch, even swimming with your dog, but we bet you’ve never heard of this one! Pole dancing is actually a graceful, empowering way for your pup to exercise…or maybe it just looks funny.
12. If you come home and find your dog cowering on the counter top, you have two options: 1) Bravely search the house for terrifying rodents/monsters, or 2) Move out. After all, Spot did seem really freaked!
13. Every cat owner has wondered if their cats are playing or fighting. It’s an impossible question to answer, especially if you were to stumble upon something like this. They seem to be in a loving relationship, but the second you leave the room, all bets are off!
14. We don’t need Ace Ventura to figure out what happened here: Desperate for cash for his upcoming poker game with the neighborhood mutts, Buddy tried to pickpocket his owner. If only she hadn’t caught him in the act!
15. This looks like a movie-still from an all-feline production of A Streetcar Named Desire. Meow-lon Brando here seems to be pretty protective of his favorite gal. Don’t pet his girlfriend, or you’ll end up with scratches.
16. Is this a fashion statement or makeshift dog cone? It’s hard to say, so if your dog is scratching an old wound, you should still bring them to the vet. After all, crackers are for eating, not healing!
17. What’s with dogs shoving their heads into random objects? Sure, this cushion foam seems comfortable, but not enough to wear it like a necklace. By the look on this guy’s face, he’s not quite sure how he ended up like this, either!
18. This little guy isn’t exactly a wolf in sheep’s clothing. He looks more afraid of them than they do of him! The nearby sheep don’t seem convinced that he’s part of their flock. Hey, at least he has this little lamb costume for next Halloween.
19. There’s nothing more ominous than a cat slowly peeking around the corner. Any level of chaos could be found on the other side of that wall: destroyed curtains, a ripped-up sofa, a cat-mafia meeting that ran too late — you just never know.
20. Giddy up! We’re not entirely sure how these two ended up like this, but we’re not mad about it. All they need is their own theme music, and they’ll be ready to go on all the adventures they want…as long as these “adventures” are in the house.
21. In a desperate attempt to recreate her favorite scene from the Disney film Lady and the Tramp, this colorful feline got her spaghetti slurp on. She was so eager to perform she didn’t wait for another cat to jump on the other end of the noodle!
22. How is anyone expected to enjoy a cup of coffee when pigeons are acting like each glass is their own personal restroom? This feathered bully better cough up the money for a new drink!
23. Once the spirit takes hold of this Dalmatian, there’s just no stopping the music! He’ll slam on that piano all night long, howling out tunes and letting the musical spirit move him. Move over Billy Joel, there’s a new piano man in town!
24. After a patient gets a thorough checkup in this office, the doctor passes it over to the second-in-command: their cat. The feline will look over the results, sleep on it, then deliver her diagnosis when she wakes up.
25. This lovely lady channeled her inner fashionista when her owner was out of the house making a dress from her favorite blanket! That dog in the background sure looks jealous because his style is severely lacking.
26. No game night is complete without a nosy cat making their way onto the game board and completely putting an end to all progress. Whoever is in the lead when the cat comes in and ruins everything automatically wins.
27. Uh oh, someone got busted! All he wanted was a bone, but he got caught up in some illegal kibble-smuggling activity, and now he has to pay for his crime. Life can be ruff sometimes!
28. After a long day at work, this employee thought the fax machine was the ideal location for an afternoon snooze. Hopefully, she’s not accidentally faxing pictures of her rear end to her clients!
29. Why run around in the grass outside under the sweltering sun when you can just drag the sprinkler in through the doggy door? You might as well bring your toys to where the air conditioning is.
30. There will be no gardening happening when this cat’s around. Still, at least he’s only lounging and not taking bites out of the leaves… at least, not when the camera’s watching.
31. This dog looks like he’s a bouncer at the hottest dog club in town — and he’s going to make sure no one underage gets in! Pooches better have their doggy tags ready if they want to get in and enjoy the luxuries of that upscale kitchen life.
32. Even though some animals aren’t allowed out of the house, that doesn’t mean they can’t still make new friends. It looks like every morning these two households are visited by a couple of curious creatures who want breakfast!
33. Why would anyone watch birds through the open bottom half of the window when there are plenty of noisy blinds to fumble with on top? Must be one heck of an engaging bird show this curious guy’s watching.
34. There’s really no more proper way to spend an afternoon in the sun than drifting around a pool in a tube while you doze. Hopefully no one cannonballs into the water and disrupts his zen moment.
35. This cat’s owner bought the spray bottle so they could prevent him from jumping up onto furniture. It turns out the bottle should be more afraid of the cat! Maybe the owner needs to invest in a Super Soaker. That’ll show em!
36. It’s going to take more than those cute “who, me?” eyes to get outta this mess. She picked a pretty epic fight with a roll of paper towels, and now she wants everyone to gaze upon her victory.
37. According to the owner of these pets, their cat learned how to break into the treat jar, and their dog acts like he doesn’t notice the theft in progress. That cat owes him a major favor for keeping his mouth closed.
38. Someone spent a good chunk of time carefully folding dumplings just to find paws all over them. Not pointing any fingers, but it’s a safe bet the culprit is the one peeking out from behind the door.
39. You’d think that sitting on the actual cushion would be way more comfortable than the wooden box-spring underneath. How did this cat even move an object so big on his own? Something fishy’s going on…
40. This little guy mistook the dog’s food for his litter box! He better hope his canine buddy doesn’t find out, or he’s in for an awkward day. Hey, when you gotta go, you gotta go, but not in someone’s breakfast.